Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ana Morales Log #1

 
Since many years ago, a quote of Mother Theresa has been stuck in my head, “If you can’t feed a hundred people, then just feed one.” This is the same attitude I get whenever there is any type of help needed. That is one of the main reasons why I joined GLOBE, knowing that one loan provided to one person can help out people living in poverty. We might not be able to provide hundreds of loans, but one at a time can slowly change the world. Although this is only the second week of class, I feel greatly satisfied with what the program does and I hope I can contribute to the best of my ability.

Last week, we discussed about different levels of poverty, which can be easily distinguished by comparing different countries. I was raised in Mexico, which is considered a developing country, so my views of poverty are certainly different than those of the rest of my classmates with different ethnic backgrounds. When I think about poverty, I think about lack of basic needs. Imagine not being able to wear proper clothing or not being able to have food in the table. Even worse, not knowing where you are going to spend the night. Coming to New York City has given me a different view of poverty, but I believe it is the third world countries that need the most help. That is why most of the outstanding loans are in Congo, Kenya, and Nigeria. As a class, hopefully we can provide more loans this semester, and I believe we can accomplish this goal and much more.

Along with the rest of the Accounting, Program Audits and Enterprise Development team, we have developed goals for this semester. Being part of this program will definitively involve a lot of outside class commitment, but it is definitively worth it. Just like Muhammad Yunus said, people deserve a “dignified root out of poverty.”

Some say that one thing leads to another; others say it is destiny.  Whatever the truth is, I believe there is a reason for me to be part of the GLOBE class of Spring 2012. Now that I am in it, I have nothing else to do but to give my best to this program and start changing the world with my actions.

- Accounting Team 

No comments:

Post a Comment